This summer, I will be participating in the Google Summer of Code. The project I will be working on is the Samba3->Samba4 upgrade path.
In my original proposal, I split this project up into the following subtasks:
- Each of the various password database backends (tdb, ldap, smbpaswd) available in Samba3 need to be accessible and converted to the SAM database in Samba4.
- Printer database needs to be read from the Samba3 TDB and added to the apprioprate LDAP subtree.
- The WINS database needs to be converted from both plain text file and TDB file to LDAP/LDB.
- The account policy database needs to be read in from a TDB and applied to the data in LDAP/LDB.
- The privilege database needs to be read from a TDB and added to the SAM database in LDB.
- Group mappings need to be read from the TDB and added to the SAM database.
- The share info database and the configuration file from Samba3 need to be read and converted to either xattrs or a TDB in Samba4
- Secrets.tdb, containing the domain formation, needs to be merged into the SAM database.
- Last, but not least, a Samba3 configuration file should be parsable in Samba4. This file can be used for producing a Samba4 smb.conf file as well as for updating the various databases mentioned above.
I will probably have to change this later on, but it's a good list to start with.Go Top